The assignment is divided into two (2) parts.
For Part I of the assignment (due Week 3), you read a critical thinking process: “The Believing Game and How to Make Conflicting Opinions More Fruitful” by Peter Elbow. , reviewed the Procon.org Website in order to gather information, and engaged in prewriting to examine your thoughts.
* Remember that in the Week 2 Discussion, you examined the biases discussed in Chapter 2 of the webtext.
In Part II of the assignment (due Week 5), you will write a paper to synthesize your ideas.
Part II – Writing
Write at three to four (3-4) page paper in which you:
- State your position on the topic you selected for Assignment 1.1.
- Identify (3) three premises (reasons) from the Procon.org website that support your position and explain why you selected these specific reasons.
- Explain your answers to the “believing” questions about the three (3) premises opposing your position from the Procon.org website.
- Examine at least two (2) types of biases that you likely experienced as you evaluated the premises for and against your position.
- Discuss the effects of your own enculturation or group identification that may have influenced your biases.
- Discuss whether or not your thinking about the topic has changed after playing the “Believing Game,” even if your position on the issue has stayed the same.