- Read the article Competent Educators of the 21st Century: Principles of Quality Pedagogy (Links to an external site.) (pages 28-31 specifically).
- Compare and contrast the differences between classroom assessment strategies and standardized assessments, including the advantages and disadvantages of classroom assessments.
- Choose one of the children from the Colorado Department of Education videos to observe. State explicitly which child you are using (name of child).
- Based on the observation of that child, you will create a family-friendly resource that highlights their child’s strengths and needs that can be shared at your upcoming family conference. Your resource should include information from each of the documentation options below and should be family-friendly:
- Narratives for parents
- Indicators of dispositions
- Developmental checklist
- Explain specifically how your resource meets each of the indicators of quality for Principle 4.1 of the Competent Educators of the 21st Century: Principles of Quality Pedagogy and why creating effective assessment partnerships is important for leaders in the field of early childhood education.
Guided Response: Respond to at least two of your peers’ posts. As a leader in the field of early childhood education, provide feedback on the resource. What were some of the highlights of the resource? In what ways is this resource family friendly? Respectfully provide suggestions that would make this resource more family-friendly or in better alignment with Principle 4.1.
Though two replies is the basic expectation, for deeper engagement and learning, you are encouraged to provide responses to any comments or questions others have given to you. Remember, continuing to engage with peers and the instructor will further the conversation and provide you with opportunities to demonstrate your content expertise, critical thinking, and real-world experiences with this topic.