- There are 3 balls in a hat; one with the number 3 on it, one with the number 4 on it, and one with the number 7 on it.
You pick a ball from the hat at random and then you flip a coin. Using a tree diagram , obtain the sample space for the experiment. List the elements that make up the sample space.
3 H T, 4 H T 7H T3 4 7 H, 3 4 7 T3 H, 3 T, 4 H, 4 T, 7 H, 7 T3 H, 4 H, 7 H
Jim finds an irregularly shaped five-sided rock. He labels each side and tossed the rock 100 times. The results are in the following table.
Side 1 2 3 4 5
Frequency 32 18 15 13 22
Find the emperical probability that the rock will land on side 4 if tossed again.13/1004/134/100None of the above
In a sample of 50,000 first-born babies, 5 were found to have Prader-Willi syndrome.
Find the emperical probability that the family’s first child will be born with the syndrome .1/100005/50000.0001All of the above
A traffic light is red for 25 seconds, yellow for 5 seconds, and green for 55 seconds.
What is the probability that when you reach the light – the light is yellow?5/85 + 80/855/85 or 1/1780/85 or 16/17None of the above
- One person is selected at random from a class of 16 males and 15 females. Find the odds against selecting:
- Use the counting principle to obtain the answer.The frequency setting for a garage door opener is determined by the positions of nine switches, each of which can be set to a ” +” or “-” position.In how many ways can the switches be set?
- A number labeled with numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 is tossed. What are the odds in favor of the cube showing a number less than 3?1:21:31:12:1
- Evaluate the expression: 8!40,320856None of the above
- A contractor is considering a sale that promises a profit of $40,000 with a probability of 0.7 or a loss of $5,000 with a probability of 0.3. What is the expected profit?$31,500$28,000$26,500$35,000
- Use the counting principle to obtain the answer.
A salesman packed 3 shirts and 6 ties. With one shirt, he could wear all 6 ties. With another shirt, he could wear 5 ties. With the third shirt, he could wear only 3 ties. How many different combinations did he have?
- Evaluate 8P3.3361556None of the above
- One digit from the number 5, 494, 224 is written on each of seven cards. What is the probability of drawing a card that shows 5 or 2?5/74/73/72/7
A card is picked from a deck of cards.
Find the odds against and the odds in favor of selecting a heart.3:1 , 1:34:1 , 1:41:3 , 3:1None of the above
In July in Seattle, the grass grows 1/2 inch a day on a sunny day and 1/4 inch a day on a cloudy day. In Seattle, in July, 75% of the days are sunny and 25% of the days are cloudy.
a) Find the expected value of grass growth for the day b) Find the expected value of grass growth for the month of July ( 31 days ) — round both to 2 decimal placeesa) .50 in b) 15.5 ina) .75 in b) 23.23 ina) .44 in b) 13.64 inNone of the above
A couple plans to have three children.
Find the probability that the couple has a) no boys b) at least one girl, c) either exactly 2 girls or 2 boys.
a) 1/8 b) 1/8 c) 1/8a) 1/8 b) 7/8 c) 3/4a) 1/8 b) 1/2 c ) 3/4None of the above
- Evaluate 10C3.360120720none of the above
- On the lottery, where one number is chosen, determine the probability that you would win if you have a choice of 46 numbers to choose from45/461/461/2None of the above
- A class consists of 24 women and 67 men. If a student is randomly selected, what is the probability that the student is awoman?